o Office buildings
o Corporate buildings
o Residential buildings up to 10 000 sq.m total built-up area
o Residential buildings from 10 000 sq.m to 20 000 sq.m total built-up area
o Residential buildings larger than 20 000 sq.m total built-up area
o Residential complexes of multifamily buildings
o Retail buildings
o Industrial and logistics buildings
o Hotels and holiday complexes
o Special buildings for health, educational and sports purpose
o Historic buildings
o Buildings with elements of green architecture
** Depending on the applications, after consultations with the organizers, additional categories may be created.
*** According to the specifics of the building, it can only participate in a maximum of two categories, after consultations with the organizers.
Every participant in the competition must complete the participation form (available on the website of the competition www.buildingoftheyear.com), in which the number and date of the permission for use of the building should be indicated and a copy of the document should be attached.
Every permit for use certificate is verified.
To attach to the form:
* Digital images of the building (at 300 dpi, 210 mm wide) - at least five exterior and five interior
* One standard floor plan in PDF format
* Short description of the building in Word (up to 50 lines maximum) in English and Bulgarian stating the specific features and technologies used to distinguish the building
The participant must coordinate with other companies involved in the realization of the building - investor, designer and contractor
The pictures and description of the building will be uploaded on the official website of the competition www.buildingoftheyear.bg
Each building is presented on the website with one photo and information about the investor, architect and contractor in the special edition of the contest for most significant achievements of 2018.
The participant should indicate the contact person whom the organizers may contact if the jury needs an access to the building.
All documents for participation must be received by October 31st, 2018 at:
National competition Building of the Year, 104 Ivan Ev Geshov blvd., Floor.1, office 1 Sofia 1612 tel .: 02/958 88 55; firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be valid each application must be completed and sent no later than 31 October 2018. Organizers are not responsible for the accuracy of the information submitted in the application form. The documents remain in the archives of the organizers.
Each participant must pay the fee of EUR 600 (excluding VAT)
After receiving the application, the organizers send the applicant a pro-forma invoice, through which the fee is paid
The registration fee can not be refunded.
Candidates without a paid fee are not allowed to participate in the awards.
The Jury has the right not to declare a winner in a given category.
The Jury can award additional awards.
The winners selection is based on criteria in accordance with the Bulgarian legislation and professional standards for original architectural design and quality of construction works applied by architects, designers and contractors.
• Innovation and uniqueness in design and/or concept. Overall appearance, facade, interior design, attractive use of interior space, unusual features, quality and aesthetics of finishing works
• The efficiency of design - value for money
o Office - floor layout - flexibility of office units - the possibility to divide and combine office units, natural light in all areas, location of lifts, stairs, toilets
o Retail - floor layout facilitating the flow of customers, lack of dead ends on retail floors, large anchors in the corners, entertainment and food court on the upper floors, sufficient number of retail units to provide sufficient mix for the scale of the scheme
o Hotel - room size and general layout, spacious lobby, convenient location of conference rooms, spa, restaurants, shops
o Residential - location of lifts and stairwells, apartments layout, efficient plans, spacious rooms, adequate number of bathrooms per bedrooms, parametric optimization for each functional area and adaptability of living units to the changing needs of the residents.
o Industrial - flexibility of space, space saving ideas, convenience of use - ramps, double-decking system
• Technical quality - different in each category
o 4-pipe HVAC system, clear height between floors, full BMS /Building Management System/, windows that can be opened /for offices and hotels/, raised floors (for offices), suspended ceilings, diesel generator and UPS, spacious lobby, quality finishings, smooth floors (industrial space), ramps, fire escape, toilets for the disabled.
Achievements in HVAC, sound and noise insulation
Infrastructural improvements and public works in the neighbourhood, region or town, playgrounds, sports or recreational areas, additional street lighting.
• Amenities/services - different in each category
o Restaurants, cafes, canteens, bars, shops, bank, spa, sports facilities, conference facilities, casinos/hotels/, supermarkets, sufficient parkings
• Location and access - adequate for the function, ease of public and private transport, visibility and presentability of location
- Energy-efficient materials (tiles, joinery, glass fibre, façades, insulations) with quality certificates
- Recycled or recyclable construction materials
- Rainwater collecting systems
- Wastewater recycling systems
- Biological sewage treatment
- Alternative energy resources
- Energy saving systems, BMS systems, low-energy appliances class AAA
- Construction in regenerated areas, preservation of biodiversity
- Preservation and reuse of natural resources (stones, trees, rocks) during the construction process
- Proximity of transport networks, cycling networks, parks
- Geographic location of the site
- Compensations for negative construction impact - recycling and use of local materials with low transportation costs
- Long-term eco-sustainability of the building according to the national and world standards
• Target users - the actual target group in the retail schemes, the quality of tenants in office /industrial/retail buildings, type of buyers in residential schemes, type of tourists in hotels
• Performance - occupancy - % leased or sold - whether the building is financially viable
• Impact on the environment - how it relates to the surrounding area, green buildings
Presence of the building in the video announcements for the respective category in the TV broadcast on BNT on 15 December (Saturday) 2018 (for the exact time you will be informed via the competition website).
Online and print
The submitted photos and texts of the projects are published on the website of the competition - www.buildingoftheyear.bg. All projects are presented in the categories with one image and information about the parameters of the project, investor, designer and contractor in the event of the contest for the most significant buildings of 2018. Opportunities for additional presentation of the building participant in the competition Building of the Year 2018 on the pages of the CITY magazine. The competition is covered by a photo gallery in Gradat Magazine, gradat.bg as well as on The City Media Group's Facebook page.
Everybody can vote once for one building in one category and will receive a verification email for his vote.
The winner of the vote will not be announced until the official awards ceremony.
Every winning building will be given a statue and a certificate for the investor, architect and building company.
Each participant must be familiar with this regulations and declare it in the application form.
Regulation for applications
The national contest Building the Year is organized by The CITY Media Group.
Documents with a copy of the registration fee must be sent to e-mail: email@example.com or at the address
Sofia 1612, Acad. Iv. Ev. Geshov Blvd. 104, floor 1, tel .: 02/958 88 55; www.buildingoftheyear.bg